Glen Mooar Beach

This glen is situated on the west coast 1 mile south of Kirk Michael on the coast road to Peel.

Glen Mooar was acquired by the Forestry Directorate's predecessor, the Forestry, Mines and Lands Board, in 1959. Formative work on the paths, drainage and scrub clearance began the following year.

The glen occupies part of the western bank of the Glen Mooar valley and extends from the main Peel to Kirk Michael road southwards, to the small coniferous plantation beyond the Spooyt Vane (White Spout) waterfall. This attractive feature lies outside the glen's boundary but visitors are welcome to view it, by courtesy of the owner Mr T J Curphey. It is one of the highest waterfalls on the Island.

In the central part of the glen lie the remains of a listed ancient monument dating from the 8th to 10th century and protected by the Manx National Heritage. The site consists of a keeill (chapel) which was dedicated to St Patrick, hence its Manx name Cabbal Pherick (Patrick's Chapel), together with a surrounding burial ground and the remains of a priest's cell.

Visitors will note the substantial stone pillars which are all that remain of the impressive iron lattice-work railway viaduct which once spanned the valley. This line, opened in 1879, closed finally in 1968.

At the foot of the western-most pillar is a set of steps leading to a section of Raad Ny Foillan (The Road of the Gull), a long distance public footpath. This part follows the old railway route to St German's station and beyond.

Access is by car or bus.

The glen is managed by the Forestry Amenity and Lands Directorate of the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture.


Copyright © 2017 Richard K. Arning
Registered in the Isle of Man | Isle of Media Limited | Reg Number 131277C

Isle of Media Logo